Lifeandstyleafter40.com takes your privacy seriously.
Updated as of August, 2018
This Is An Overview Of The Information We Collect And How It May Be Used and Disclosed:
• We collect the information you give us when you subscribe to our Sites, register as a member on our Sites or participate in Interactive Areas on our Sites, such as activity that might include newsletter sign-ups, participation in our commenting sections, and saving articles, etc. The information we collect includes information that identifies you personally (whether alone or in combination), such as a name, phone number, home address or email address.
• We may collect information through cookies, such as the dates and times you access our Sites, your device identifier and Internet protocol address, and attributes of your browser, system or device.
• Our third party operational providers may use technical information collected through cookies and other technologies to analyze site usage activity and patterns in order to help improve the Sites.
• We use your information to communicate with you and to fulfill your requests related to services such as subscription purchases, tickets to events, and/or newsletter sign-ups.
• We use demographic information about you (e.g., age, gender, geographic location) from third parties to serve you more relevant advertising. We use the information we collect to tailor marketing and advertising so that it is more relevant to you.
• We share the information we collect with operational providers that help us fulfill certain business functions, and with other third parties to comply with legal processes such as subpoenas and court orders, in connection with corporate transactions involving our companies, and when we believe in good faith that the law requires the disclosure of your information or its disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or interests or the rights or interests of others.
This Is An Overview Of The Information Our Advertisers, Ad Networks and Partners May Collect And How They May Use This Information:
• Third party advertising networks and other companies with whom we contract collect technical information derived from cookies and other technologies when you visit our Sites.
• These companies and third party networks may combine the information they collect with information about your activities at third party websites or with demographic information.
• They may use this information to identify your likely interests in order to provide you with more useful and relevant advertisements.
This is An Overview Of The Rights And Choices You Have About The Information We Collect:
• You may opt-out of email communications you receive from us using the opt-out links found at the bottom of each email we send.
• California residents and data subjects in Europe have additional rights as set forth in the sections below entitled “Your California Privacy Rights” and “Your European Privacy Rights.”
This Is What Our Privacy Notice Covers
This Outlines The Data And Personal Information We Collect
A. We Collect The Information You Provide.
To become a member of one of our Sites or to access certain areas of the Sites, such as contests or sweepstakes, or to participate in other online activities, special events or Interactive Areas, you may be required to provide us with certain information. “Interactive Areas” include, when offered, comment sections on articles, message boards, chat rooms, reader photo upload areas, reader ratings and reviews, features allowing saving articles or other content on our Sites, reader-created content upload areas, contact us and customer support areas, and areas that allow you to register for SMS text messaging and mobile alerts. Some examples of the information we collect include the following:
• Contact Data. We collect your first and last name, e-mail address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
• Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and other information for authentication and account access.
• Demographic Data. We collect demographic information including your age, gender, and country.
• Payment Data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make a purchase, including your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.
• Profile Data. We collect your username, interests, favorites, and other profile data.
• Contacts. We collect data about your contacts in order to fulfill a request by you, such as fulfilling a gift subscription. Such functionality is only intended for United States (“U.S.”) residents. By using this functionality, you acknowledge and agree that both you and your contacts are based in the U.S. and that you have your contacts’ consent for us to use their contact information to fulfill your request.
• Content. We collect the content of messages you send to us, such as feedback and product reviews you write, or questions and information you provide to customer support. We also collect the content of your communications as necessary to provide you with the services you use.
• Resume Data. We collect data to consider you for a job opening if you submit an application to us, including your employment history, writing samples, and references.
• Survey Data. We may also survey visitors about various topics, including events and experiences, media consumption preferences and how we can improve our Sites and services. Response to our surveys is entirely voluntary.
• Public Postings. We collect information when you submit it for posting on our Sites. Any communication you submit or that may be posted to a publicly viewable area of our Sites, such as a comment on an article or a review, is a public communication and may be viewed by the general public. Therefore, you acknowledge and understand that you have no expectation of privacy or confidentiality in the content you submit to such areas via our Sites, whether or not your submission includes personal information. These submissions would include newsletter sign ups and any area of our site that requires a login or registration prior to use. If at any time you display your personal information in any communication submitted to such areas, other individuals may collect and use your personal information. We are not responsible for, nor can we guarantee the protection of, any personal information you disclose in a communication submitted to such areas for posting or contained in an email or other communication submitted to us for such posting, and thus, you acknowledge that if you disclose personal information in any such material, you do so at your own risk.
You may choose to voluntarily submit other information to us through the Service that we do not request, and, in such instances, you are solely responsible for such information.
B. We Collect Technical Information Automatically
To gauge the effectiveness of our Sites, we may collect technical information about our members and visitors, such as Internet server and browser identification, the Internet service provider used, clickstream information, the web page from which you enter our site, webpages visited, duration of visit and domain type. We gather this information by using cookies and similar current – and later – developed devices (“Tracking Technologies”) as discussed below. We may contract with third parties to collect this information on our behalf for analytics purposes. These include companies such as Chartbeat, Comscore and Google. For more information about these companies and their privacy policies, please click the company names above and follow the links to their websites.
The Tracking Technologies we use to collect technical information include the following:
• Cookies. A cookie is a small data file that contains a unique identification number that a website places on your device when you visit the website. The cookie is able to store a variety of information used to improve and customize your browsing experience. Session-based cookies last while your browser is open. Persistent cookies last for various periods across browser restarts, remembering your preferences, and supporting security features. Persistent cookies may remain on your device for extended periods of time.
• Log Files. A log file is a file that records events that occur in connection with your use of the Service, such as your service use data.
• App Technologies, Customization, and Usage. There are a variety of tracking technologies that may be included in our apps that allow us to collect information about your installation, use, and updating of our apps as well as information about your device, including your unique device identifier (“UDID”) and other technical identifiers. More specifically, these tracking technologies allow us to collect data about your device and your use of our apps, the pages, videos, other content, or ads you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, and items you download. These tracking technologies are not browser-based like cookies and cannot be controlled by browser settings. For example, our apps may include third party SDKs, which is code that sends information about your use to a server, and is in effect the app version of a pixel. These SDKs allow us to track our conversions and communicate with you across devices, bring you advertising both on and off the Sites, customize the app to your interests and preferences and link such across platforms and devices, and provide you with additional functionality, such as the ability to connect our Site with your social media account.
• Location-Identifying Technologies. GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and other location-aware technologies may be used to collect precise location data when you enable location-based services through your device. Location data may be used for purposes such as verifying your device’s location and delivering or restricting relevant content and advertising based on that location.
Some information about your use of the Sites and certain Third Party Services (defined below) may be collected using Tracking Technologies across time and services and used by us and third parties for purposes such as to associate different devices you use, and deliver relevant ads and/or other content to you on the Sites and certain Third Party Services.
For further information on Tracking Technologies and your rights and choices regarding them, see the sections entitled “Third Parties” and “This Is How Our Advertisers, Ad Networks And Other Third-Parties Collect And Use Information” below.
C. We Collect Information From Other Sources
We also obtain information about you from other third party sources. To the extent we combine such third party sourced information with information we have collected about you through the Sites, we will treat the combined information in accordance with the practices described in this Privacy Notice, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These third party sources vary over time, but have included:
• Data brokers from which we purchase demographic data or geographic information to supplement the data we collect.
• Social networks when you reference our Sites or grant permission to us to access your data on one or more of these services (for example by logging in to the Sites through the Facebook Login feature).
• Partners with which we offer co-branded services, sell or distribute our products, or engage in joint marketing activities.
For further information on Third Party Services, see the section entitled “This Is How Our Advertisers, Ad Networks And Other Third-Parties Collect And Use Information” below.
This is How We Use Tracking Technologies
• Managing Your Cookies
• Cookies On Sites We Link To
Throughout our Sites, we link out to other websites, such as publications, affiliates, advertisers, and partners. You should review other website operators’ privacy and cookie policies to determine the type and extent of tracking devices used by these other websites.
• Other Tracking Technologies
Some information about your use of the Sites and certain Third Party Services (defined below) may be collected using Tracking Technologies across time and services and used by us and third parties for purposes such as to associate different devices you use, and deliver relevant ads and/or other content to you on the Sites and certain Third Party Services.
For further information on Tracking Technologies and your rights and choices regarding them, see the sections below entitled “Third Parties” and “This Is How Our Advertisers, Ad Networks And Other Third-Parties Collect And Use Information.”
These Are The Things We Do With the Information We Collect
We collect personal information for our legitimate interests, including to:
• Manage our Sites, including to operate our membership and subscriber base, registration and accounts;
• Protect the security of our visitors and the Sites, prevent and address fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats or harm;
• Improve our service and Sites, marketing efforts, products, events and other services;
• Perform services requested by our users, such as to distribute our newsletters, respond to comments, questions, and requests, and provide customer service;
• Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages;
• Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities;
• Conduct research, including surveys; and
• Develop and send you direct marketing, advertising and/or promotions.
We also use information about you with your consent, including to:
• Verify eligibility, notify the winners and deliver prizes of our contests and sweepstakes, and allow participation in Interactive Areas.
• Served tailored marketing, advertising and/or promotions. We or our operational providers may associate the information we collect with other data collected from other sources, such as demographic data including age and gender, to make our marketing activities more relevant.
• Offer SMS text message mobile alerts for specific purposes.
• Offer an “Email This” feature that allows visitors to email a link to another person to inform them about an article or feature on the Sites. We do not retain telephone numbers or email addresses collected for these purposes after sending the SMS text message or email.
This Is How And Why We May Share Your Information With Third Parties
• Affiliates. Information collected via the Sites is shared among our affiliates. For example, we may share your information with our related entities including our parent and sister companies for customer support, marketing, and technical operations.
• Third Parties. We share your information with third parties for the purposes of facilitating your requests (such as when you choose to share information with a social network about your activities on the Sites) and in connection with tailoring advertisements, measuring and improving our Sites and advertising effectiveness, and other enabling enhancements. For example, we share aggregate information about our visitors with our advertisers, sponsors, and promotional partners, such as how many persons visited a particular page or activity, the average age of our visitors on the Site(s) or page(s), or the likes and dislikes of our visitors, but this information is not specific to any individual visitor. We obtain geographic information such as zip code clustering from other sources, but this aggregate information will not reveal the precise location of a specific visitor. We also obtain other demographic information from third parties to improve our products and services, for marketing purposes or to display more relevant advertising. One such third-party provider is Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Google combines demographic data collected via DoubleClick Display Advertising with site-specific behavior tracked in Google Analytics to provide Life & Style After 40! with information about the demographics and content interests of users. We do not combine this data with any personal information. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics tracking, please click this link: Google Analytics opt-out.
• Events. Our Events and promotions may be jointly sponsored or offered by third parties. If you voluntarily choose to enter or attend an Event, we may share your information with third parties as set forth in the official rules that govern the Event as well as for administrative purposes and as required by law (e.g., on a winners list). By entering a contest or sweepstakes Event, you agree to the official rules that govern that Event, and may, except where prohibited by applicable law, allow the sponsor and/or other parties to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials.
• Business Partners. We may share your information with our business partners in connection with offering you co-branded services, selling or distributing our products, or engaging in joint marketing activities.
• Merger or Acquisition. We may share your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of our assets, or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another business.
• Consent. We may share your information for any other purpose disclosed to you and with your consent.
Without limiting the foregoing, in our sole discretion, we may share aggregated information which does not identify you or de-identified information about you with third parties or affiliates for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we share your information, please see the section entitled “These Are the Choices You Have About How Your Personal Information Is Used” below.
This Is How Our Advertisers, Ad Networks And Other Third-Parties Collect And Use Information
A. Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising.
Online advertising for the Sites is delivered by third-party advertising companies. These companies create networks of websites and conduct market research to facilitate the delivery of relevant ads on our Sites and other websites. These companies place cookies on your hard drive so that their systems can identify your computer. By placing such cookies on your computer, they are able, among other things, to determine automatically whether you have seen a particular advertisement before and avoid sending you duplicate advertisements. These cookies also enable the companies to serve you ads tailored to things you have shown interest in based on the Sites and other websites you have visited. For example, if you frequently read movie reviews, you may see ads relating to upcoming movie openings. Retailers, advertisers, and/or promotional partners on the Sites may share information about your purchases with us.
The third-party companies that may serve advertisements or provide ad targeting data on the Sites include, but are not limited to DoubleClick, Google, BlueKai, Taboola, and Facebook. In addition, we share with these third parties any personal information you voluntarily provide, such as an email address, in response to an advertisement or sponsored content link. If you would like more information about the collection, use and disclosure practices of these third-party advertising companies and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click on the company names above and follow the links to the company websites.
B. Third Party Features.
• Liking, Sharing, and Logging-In. You may choose to log in, create an account or enhance your profile on the Sites through the Facebook Login feature. By doing this, you are asking Facebook to send us certain information from your Facebook profile, and you authorize us to collect, store, and use in accordance with this Privacy Notice any and all information available to us through the Facebook interface. After you have connected, Facebook also sends us additional information from your profile that allows us to display a Facebook Friends module on your profile page. The Facebook Friends that are displayed only include your Friends that also have accounts with our Sites.
These Are Other Reasons We Might Share Your Personal Information
Other than as disclosed in this Privacy Notice, we share or disclose your personal information or the content of your email when required by law, regulation, legal process or governmental request; when we believe disclosure would enhance or improve operation of the Sites or certain website services and/or when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or interests or the rights or interests of others, or the safety of our visitors.
We may disclose the content of your email to our operational providers or our Privacy Committee in the event the communication is necessary for the resolution of your request or concern.
This Provides More Information About Links to Third Party Websites
This is How Your Information is Protected
We implement and maintain reasonable administrative, physical, and technical security safeguards to help protect your information from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. When you submit information on our Sites, we take efforts to protect such information both online and offline. Only employees and supervisors with specific authorization have access to databases containing visitors’ information. When you send us an email, we will reasonably safeguard your email address and other contact information. Any credit card information we collect or receive is transmitted via an API using encrypted technology to our operational provider for processing. Please be advised that, although we take reasonable technological precautions to protect your data, no data in storage or transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Therefore, we do not represent or warrant that your information will be absolutely secure. Any transmission of data via our Sites is at your own risk.
These Are The Choices You Have About the Information We Collect
A. Review and Update of Account Information.
You may access, update, or remove certain account information that you have voluntarily submitted to us through the Sites by sending an e-mail to the e-mail address set forth in the section entitled “This is How You Can Ask Questions or Raise Concerns” below. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity. Please note that we will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. California residents and data subjects in Europe have additional rights as set forth in the sections entitled “Your California Privacy Rights” and “Your European Privacy Rights” below.
B. Tracking Technology Choices.
• Cookies and Pixels. Most browsers accept cookies by default. You can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to decline or delete cookies. If you use multiple browsers on your device, you will need to instruct each browser separately. Your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
• Location-Identifying Technologies. The location data collected through an app depends on your device settings and app permissions. You can exercise choice over the location data collected through our apps by (i) for GPS data, disabling location in your device settings or disabling location permissions to that app; (ii) for Bluetooth data, disabling Bluetooth and any Bluetooth scanning option in your device settings; or (iii) for WiFi data, disabling WiFi and any WiFi scanning option in your device settings. You can stop collection of all location data via an app by uninstalling the app.
• Do Not Track. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to online services you visit. Note, however, there is no industry consensus as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals or other mechanisms. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Please be aware that if you disable or remove Tracking Technologies some parts of the Service may not function correctly.
C. Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising.
You can opt-out of your data being used by Google Analytics through cookies by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and downloading the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Third party advertising companies often belong and/or conform to the standards and principles of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI). The NAI allows you to opt-out of the cookies used to tailor advertisements to you through the NAI website. If you would like to opt-out of the storage of anonymous information used by third party advertising companies, visit the Network Advertising Industry’s opt-out page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices. The NAI opt-out tool is cookie based.
Some of the third parties that collect information from or about you on the Sites in order to provide more relevant advertising to you participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. This program offers a centralized location where users can make choices about the use of their information for online behavioral advertising. To learn more about the DAA and your opt-out options for their members, please visit (i) for website opt-out, http://www.aboutads.info/choices; and (ii) for mobile app opt-out, http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
Please note that if you opt-out of online behavioral advertising using any of these methods, the opt-out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt-out. Further, opting-out only means that the selected members should no longer deliver certain Interest-based Advertising to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., from other ad networks). We are not responsible for effectiveness of, or compliance with, any third-parties’ opt-out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs.
You may also limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device for purposes of serving online behavioral advertising to you by going to your device settings and selecting “Limit Ad Tracking” (for iOS devices) or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (for Android devices).
• Emails. You can opt-out of receiving promotional emails from us at any time by following the instructions as provided in e-mails to click on the unsubscribe link, or emailing us at the email address set forth in the section entitled “This Is How You Can Ask Questions or Raise Concerns” below with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject field of the email. Please note that you cannot opt-out of non-promotional e-mails, such as those about your account, transactions, servicing, or our ongoing business relations.
• Push Notifications. If you have opted-in to receive push notification on your device, you can opt-out at any time by adjusting the permissions in your device or uninstalling our app.
• Text Messages. You can opt-out of receiving text messages to your phone number at any time by texting “STOP” in response to any text message you receive from us or contacting us as set forth in the section entitled “This Is How You Can Ask Questions or Raise Concerns” below and specifying you want to opt-out of text messages.
Please note that your opt-out is limited to the e-mail address, device, and phone number used and will not affect subsequent subscriptions.
E. Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law permits customers in California to request certain details about how certain types of their information are shared with third parties and, in some cases, affiliates, for those third parties’ and affiliates’ own direct marketing purposes. Under the law, a business should either provide California customers certain information upon request or permit California customers to opt in to, or opt out of, this type of sharing.
We may share personal information as defined by California’s “Shine the Light” law with third parties and/or affiliates for such third parties’ and affiliates’ own direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and wish to obtain information about our compliance with this law, please contact us using the contact information below. Requests must include “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through the provided e-mail address or mail address.
Any California residents under the age of eighteen (18) who have registered to use the Sites and posted content or information on the Sites, can request that such information be removed from the Sites by sending an e-mail to us using the contact information below. Requests must state that the user personally posted such content or information and detail where the content or information is posted. We will make reasonable good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view.
F. Your European Privacy Rights
If you are a data subject in Europe, you have the right to access, rectify, or erase any personal data we have collected about you through the Sites. You also have the right to data portability and the right to restrict or object to our processing of personal data we have collected about you through the Sites. In addition, you have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (or provide it to third parties to process) for marketing purposes or purposes materially different than for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. You may withdraw your consent at any time for any data processing we do based on consent you have provided to us.
To exercise any of these rights, contact us using the contact information below and specify which right you intend to exercise. We will respond to your request within 30 days. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity. Please note that we store information as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, and may continue to retain and use the information even after a data subject request for purposes of our legitimate interests, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our agreements.
Our Sites are operated and maintained within the U.S. We make no assurances or representations of any kind that the Sites are suitable for use outside the U.S. or in the country in which you reside. The information we collect is kept on servers in the U.S. and may be transferred to servers in other countries, subject to the terms of this privacy notice. We retain the information we collect for so long as we continue to have a business purpose for it.
If you are accessing the Sites from outside of the U.S., please be aware that information collected through the Sites may be transferred to, processed, stored, and used in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. Data protection laws in the U.S. and other jurisdictions may be different from those of your country of residence. By accessing the Sites, establishing an account, subscribing to our content via print, digital, or email newsletters or making a purchase, you consent to the processing of your personal information as provided in this Privacy Notice. You may withdraw that consent by contacting us at email@example.com. You are required to provide certain personal information in order to open and maintain an account, to make a purchase or to take advantage of certain features available through the Sites. Your failure to provide such information may preclude you from establishing an account or may subject your account to termination, prevent you from making a purchase or prohibit you from using certain features.
If at any point you believe the personal information we process about you is incorrect, you may access your subscription account or comment registration and modify it there, or otherwise request to see the information and to have it corrected or deleted by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to object to or raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal information, you may contact us at email@example.com.
EU data protection law makes a distinction between organizations that process personal data for their own purposes (known as “controllers”) and organizations that process personal data on behalf of other organizations (known as “processors”). Life & Style After40! acts as controller of the information collected via its Sites.
These Are The Choices You Have About How Your Personal Information Is Used
You can choose not to provide us with any personal information through the Sites. If personal information you provide through our Sites changes, if you no longer wish to receive a service or marketing communications from us or if you wish to inquire about the information we hold about you, please contact us using the contact information below and we will correct, update or remove your details or process your request to be removed from future communications. Additionally, you can opt out of any email communications you receive from us using the opt-out links found at the bottom of each email we send.
We may periodically modify, alter or otherwise update this Privacy Notice, and reserve the right to do so at any time. We will notify you of any material changes to this Privacy Notice by posting via the Sites the revised notice with the date it was revised. Any changes will be effective immediately upon posting of the revised Privacy Notice. We encourage you to review our Privacy Notice on a regular basis to stay informed of our current data privacy practices. Your continued use of our Sites constitutes your agreement to current version of this Privacy Notice. If the changes are material, we may provide you additional notice to your email address.
What if Life & Style After 40! is Sold or Goes Out of Business?
In the event of a proposed or actual corporate change in control resulting from, for example, a sale to, or merger with, another entity, or in the event of a sale of assets or a bankruptcy involving Life & Style After 40! or its affiliates, we reserve the right to share your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, that corporate change in control to the new party in control or the party acquiring our assets.
This Is How We Protect Children’s Privacy
We have developed our Sites to appeal to visitors over the age of 18 and are not directed to children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information as defined by the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) in a manner that is not permitted by COPPA. If we learn that we have personal information for a child under the age of 13, we will take steps to delete that information. If you are a parent or guardian and believe that we have collected such information in a manner not permitted by COPPA, please contact us using the contact information below, and we will remove such data to the extent required by COPPA.
Customer Credit Card Information: Life & Style After 40! uses a third party to keep a protected copy of your credit card number. This billing data belongs to you and by utilizing the Service, you grant Life & Style After 40! a license to use this data to bill you for purchases made.